“Wisconsin’s Oldest Organized Volunteer Fire Department”
The Village of Sauk City was incorporated on March 30, 1854, and became the first incorporated village in Wisconsin. In the Autumn of that same year, fire struck the east side of the 800 block of Water Street in Sauk City and totally destroyed Simon Dean’s store with the post office inside, a tin shop, Mr. Nebel’s house and store, a copper shop, a barn and four horses. The fire demonstrated a need for a fire corps, and before the year was out in December of 1854, a meeting was held and four companies were organized as follows: Engine, Bucket, Hook and Ladder, and Rescue and Protection. On January 2, 1855, Charles Spiehr, a leading member of the German Free Congregation, was elected president of the new Fire Company. John Henry Hantzsch, Captain of the Sauk City Rifle Company, agreed to be provisional Captain. J.J. Heller, a prominent businessman in Sauk City, called the first meeting and was made Foreman of the Engine Company. Charles Deininger was foreman of the Hook and Ladder Company and F. Franzel was foreman of the Bucket Company. This is how the Sauk City Volunteer Fire Department came to be, following in the trail blazing footsteps of the village, becoming the States first organized volunteer fire department.

The hand pump above was made by J.J. Heller. Heller had actually built this pump prior to 1854 to protect his own business from fire. It was then utilized by Sauk City Fire’s Engine Company after the inception of the department. The hand pump is beautifully restored and rests in the meeting room of the current fire station as a reminder of how we came to be.
By 1860, the fire department was flourishing and proud to have a cart loaded with hand tools and Heller’s hand pump. At this time, they were storing their equipment in Heller’s store. In 1863, the Village of Sauk City Trustees agreed to build them a fire hall at 717 John Adams St. in Sauk City. It was a single-stall brick structure. The original structure was 36′ deep and 11′ wide, its construction costing $210. In 1870, the fire department purchased a used Steam Engine, ” The Andrew Proudfit”, known to them as “the Large Engine” from the City of Madison Fire Department. Also in that same year, the fire station was expanded to 28′ wide by 36′ deep, which is what currently stands today. The bell tower was also added during this expansion. The fire station is now a museum that houses historic Sauk City Fire Department memorabilia. This site is on the State of Wisconsin Historical Society Registry, Ref # 52391, and holds the claim of the oldest standing fire station in the state of Wisconsin.


Sauk City was very progressive when it came to industry. Between 1923 and 1937, Henry Grass owned and operated a truck manufacturing company on Water St. in Sauk City, where the Prairie Clinic currently stands today. It was known as the Grass Premier Truck Company. He built heavy trucks such as dump trucks and semi-tractors for heavy work and hauling. At one time, it was thought they had produced up to 5 fire trucks, but it is now believed only 3 were made. Two of these trucks were owned and operated by the Sauk City Volunteer Fire Department, which at the time was known as the Sauk Community Fire Company.



If you would like to set up a tour of the museum, please go to the Contact Us page and leave your information. The museum is open by appointment only between May and October. Keep an eye on our social media pages as well, as the museum is sometimes open on weekends for visitors!
